Service Delivery: Consulting Services
The Consulting team provides assistance for projects experiencing challenges, by offering intensive consulting services aimed at restoring project equilibrium, and minimizing and mitigating risks hampering project success. Our State staff is knowledgeable and experienced in California’s enterprise-wide issues, as well as industry best practices, and can provide hands-on assistance, education, and mentorship to IT project teams.
The Consulting Team is composed of IT professionals charged with partnering with you to resolve some of the most intricate challenges found in projects. While proactive problem avoidance is the goal, our consultants are also tasked to assist ongoing projects to identify and implement adequate or best-option solutions to issues as they arise.
Our Consulting staff members assist with ongoing projects to resolve some of the most intricate challenges, particularly in the areas of:
- Requirements Management
- Schedule Management
- Contract Management
- Quality Management
- Risk and Issue Management
- Data Management
- Test Management
- Organizational Change Management
- Implementation Management
- Interface Management
Requesting Consulting Services
To engage any of our services, please contact the CA-PMO at (916) 873-7281 or email@example.com. We offer a free consultation meeting to discuss your project and let you know whether we have experts who can help you.
Requirements ManagementBack to top
Requirements management is the process of documenting, analyzing, tracing, prioritizing and agreeing on requirements and then controlling change and communicating to relevant stakeholders. It is a continuous process throughout a project. The consulting team will assist you with:
- Developing a Requirements Management Plan before system integration contract award.
- Developing requirements prior to the issuance of your procurement documents.
- Reviewing contract requirements elaboration during contract negotiations.
- Providing assistance in managing and tracking requirements throughout the acquisition and development life cycle to help ensure that all requirements have been identified, delivered, tested, and accepted and that all changes to requirements, which always occur, have been accounted for and are traceable.
- Defining and configuring the tools used to trace requirements.
- Reviewing and providing recommendations on the actual execution of the requirements management process.
GovernanceBack to top
Effective Governance (decision-making structure) is an essential foundation for project success.
Establishing and sustaining effective governance throughout the project lifecycle will result in effective and timely decision making by focusing on structure, people, and information through the application of core governance principles. The consulting team will assist you with:
- Developing a Governance Management Plan.
- Governance planning, design, and implementation from project initiation through implementation.
- Assessing governance effectiveness and efficiency.
- Understanding the relationship between governance, project success, and managing project risks.
- Coaching Project Sponsors to effectively carry out their responsibilities.
Schedule ManagementBack to top
The purpose of Schedule Management is to know where the project is against the projections and how changes affect the delivery time. It is critically important to develop and update the schedule regularly to determine how the project is progressing. The Consulting team will assist with:
- Developing a Schedule Management Plan.
- Developing an integrated project schedule that includes dependencies (which yields the critical path) along with resource loading which will inform the Project Manager if there are sufficient staff on the project.
- Developing the project baseline schedule.
- Identifying schedule inputs to the level of detail defined in the Master Project Plan.
Contract Management Back to top
Whether developing your procurement document that leads to the contract or ensuring the successful execution of the contract, understanding contract development and vendor management are key elements to ensuring a successful project. The Consulting team will assist with:
- Developing a Contract Management Plan that includes administering the contract.
- Developing procurement documents with appropriate terms and conditions and rights and remedies for the State.
- Developing Corrective Action Plans and Cure notices to remediate deficiencies.
- Ensuring the management of the contract tracks State and System Integrator responsibilities (as well as payable deliverables) so that all contractual obligations are met in a timely fashion.
Quality Management Back to top
Quality Assurance ensures a process is developed to review deliverables against expectations before they are submitted so that the deliverable meets expectations. Quality Control assesses project deliverables to ensure they map to the defined quality standards and variance thresholds. The Consulting team will assist with:
- Developing a Quality Management Plan that includes quality assurance and control standards and metrics.
- Training your staff to perform deliverable reviews from a quality management perspective for adherence to the contract.
Risk and Issue ManagementBack to top
Risk and issue management practices involving deliberate steps in risk planning, identification, analysis, and response must be implemented during all phases of the system development life-cycle. The Consulting team will assist you with:
- Developing a Risk and Issue Management Plan.
- Planning, establishing, monitoring, measuring, and sustaining effective risk management practices throughout the project lifecycle.
- Assessing and reviewing risk management process, tools, and documentation.
- Providing risk management tools, templates, and best practices.
Data ManagementBack to top
Since data is a critical business asset, it is the lifeblood of every organization. Establishing and maintaining data integrity and quality throughout the lifespan of the project is essential. The Consulting team will assist you with:
- Developing a Data Conversion/Migration Plan.
- Implementing an effective Data Cleansing Strategy which encompasses the process of examining legacy data and detecting and correcting corrupt or inaccurate data. To ensure legacy data is ready for conversion, it is best when data cleansing is completed prior to the contract award of your system integration vendor.
- Establishing a practical and effective methodology for converting and migrating data from legacy systems to the new system, and validating and certifying that all data needed by the new system is converted accurately and are consumable by the new system.
Test Management Back to top
Early detection and removal of defects in the development lifecycle is critical to the success of an IT project and can be accomplished through well-planned testing strategies. The Consulting team will assist you with:
- Developing a comprehensive Test Management
- Plan that identifies the test scope and testing phases.
- Establishing a systematic approach for developing, managing, and implementing test activities across the development lifecycle.
- Business preparation for testing such as user acceptance testing and system testing.
- Developing test cases and test scripts.
Organizational Change ManagementBack to top
Best practice indicates that successful management of organizational change depends on a structured approach to planning and managing the effects of an IT project on the people of the organization. The Consulting team will assist you with:
- Developing an Organizational Change Management Plan.
- Assessing the strategy and scope of the organizational change effort.
- Identifying and assessing early planning, strategy, communication, and adoption, and measuring success.
Implementation ManagementBack to top
Planning for system implementation is critical to successful project execution. Determining whether the ‘big bang’ or a phased roll-out works best for your new system is key to your project plan. The Consulting team will assist with:
- Developing an Implementation Plan.
- Identifying activities that must be included in your project plan to reflect the approach.
- Training staff to understand how the roll-out approach impacts communication, change management, site readiness and other facets of your project.
- Monitoring system rollout and certification.
Interface Management Back to top
Early identification of interfaces will help ensure free flow of data and function between the new solution and partner agencies. Without knowing how many interfaces there are, there are ramifications to all facets of the project. The Consulting team will assist with:
- Developing an Interface Management Plan.
- Ensuring that the interface matrix and plan includes all the parties’ scope definitions and acceptance criteria.
- Service Request
- State Administrative Manual (SAM)
- Statewide Information Management Manual (SIMM)
- Technology Letters